When it comes to computer repair, I hear you. You’re busy! You have so much going on in your life, and it’s not like your laptop can just drop dead whenever it wants. It’s got to wait until you have a moment to spare—and then drop dead.
Computer repairs can be complicated, but there are some basic steps that anyone can follow to troubleshoot a problem. First, try restarting the computer. This can often fix minor software issues. If the problem persists, try running a virus scan to check for malware. If you’re still having trouble, it’s time to contact a computer repair technician.
Computer repair technicians in Clearwater, FL, are trained to diagnose and fix hardware and software issues. They will run tests on your computer and may need to open it up to take a closer look at the components. Once they identify the issue, they will usually be able to fix it quickly. Following these tips should help you get your computer up and running again in no time.
Cleaning: Inside and Out.
- Clean the inside of your computer. This is an excellent way to make sure that dust isn’t clogging up any internal components. The best way to do this is with compressed air, which will blow out any dust that has accumulated there over time. Just don’t point it directly at any components—you’ll want to use a can of compressed air instead of just opening up your PC and blasting away with an old-fashioned straw or tube cleaner (though we all know they’re handy).
- Clean the outside of the case by using a soft cloth and wiping down all surfaces. Don’t forget about keyboards and mice too. If you have pets around your office, keep an eye out for fur too! Keeping them clean will ensure smooth performance from all peripherals involved in computing tasks, including those listed below:
Do you have the right tools?
- Screwdrivers: Phillips and flat head. A set of both is ideal, but I can make do with just one or the other. If you go with a single set, make sure it’s both sizes, so you aren’t left stranded when a situation calls for another size.
- Cleaning supplies: Vacuum cleaner (for vacuuming debris), wipes/cloths/sprays/etc., cotton swabs for cleaning around small areas such as ports and screws
Make a Checklist for Regular Computer Maintenance.
To help you keep track of your computer’s health, create a list of tasks that should be done on a monthly basis. Here are some things to include in this list:
- Check the software: Make sure all the applications are up-to-date, and no one forgot to renew their subscription last month.
- Run an antivirus scan: This is important because it will find any viruses that could’ve been hiding in your system before you even bought it!
- Back up files: If something happens, you want to make sure your important files are safe and can easily be restored if needed.
Pay Attention to Any Notices From Your Computer or Software.
In the case of computer repair, if you have noticed any of the following things happening to your computer or software, you should pay attention:
- Notices from your antivirus programs that a virus has been detected and needs to be removed.
- Notices from your antivirus programs that malware has been detected and needs to be removed.
- Notices from your antivirus programs that a Trojan has been detected and needs to be removed. (If you’re not sure what a Trojan is, ask one of our technicians!)
- Notices from your antivirus programs that a worm has been detected and needs to be removed. (If you’re not sure what a worm is, ask one of our technicians!)
- Notices from your antivirus programs that spyware has been detected and needs to be removed
What is an external hard drive, and do I need one?
An external hard drive is a storage device that you can plug into your computer to increase its storage capacity. External hard drives come in all shapes and sizes, but their primary purpose is to add space for storing your files.
An external hard drive can be used with both PCs and Macs, and they’re relatively easy to install—you just need to plug the USB cable into your computer and wait for the pop-up window on your screen with instructions on how to proceed from there. If you have questions regarding installing an external hard drive, our technicians are happy to help!
There are many benefits of using an external hard drive:
- You don’t have to worry about running out of space when you need more files saved because adding more memory isn’t necessary. Instead, you must purchase an additional storage device so that everything else stays where it belongs without having any issues!
- They’re portable! This means taking files from place A (your home) over into place B (work).
Keeping up with your computer maintenance can help lengthen its useful life.
Computer maintenance is essential to keeping your computer running efficiently and reliably. There’s no need to get a brand new one if you can keep the one you have running well. Here are some tips on how to do that:
- How often should I clean my computer? If you use it all day, every day, and then leave it on overnight, there’s bound to be dust and other particles in there making their way through the vents and into your machine. Just make sure not to use water or chemicals on sensitive components like motherboards and graphic cards; otherwise, just wipe them down with a damp cloth.
- How often should I make backups? It’s always better safe than sorry when it comes down to losing important data from your machine or hard drive crash, so back up everything at least once per week! Make sure whatever program for backing up files doesn’t overwrite older versions either, as that’ll cause confusion later when trying to recover lost data (or worse).
If you want to help your computer live a longer and healthier life, then regular maintenance is the way to go. You can do this by regularly cleaning inside and out every six months or so and checking any notices from your computer or software programs.
If you are looking for an external hard drive, we would recommend purchasing one because it will help protect all of your essential files in case anything happens to the main hard drive while still allowing access at any time with no interruptions such as power outages!
We have discussed the basics of computer maintenance. Digital NinjaZ has a team of experts in the matter. Let us do the hard work! We are glad to offer computer repair and maintenance in Clearwater, FL. Contact us today to learn how we can help.
Contact an IT Ninja
Please let us know how we can help you, and one of our team members will get back to you soon.
[divider style=”solid” height=”2px” color=”#f22b2b”]